A Brief History from 1956 forward….
The history of Highland Presbyterian Church can be traced back to the early 1950’s when members of the First Presbyterian Church, Tyler, recognized the need to begin a colony church in what was then South Tyler.
In 1955, the Rev. C. Monroe (Mony) King was brought to Tyler for the specific purpose of organizing a colony church. Mr. King was pastor in Texarkana, TX when he accepted the call to Tyler as Assistant Pastor of First Presbyterian.
Some 100 prospective members met on January 19, 1956 in the Chapel of First Presbyterian with Mr. King presiding. A planning committee was formed. Thereafter the group begin to worship at the beautiful colonial-style Taylor Home, generously provided by the late D. K. Caldwell. The congregation met there for 11 months. The house still stands on Chilton St., across from Gary Elementary School.
The organization and naming of the new church occurred on March 18, 1956. The new congregation elected officers and the elected Mr. King as their pastor. Early in April 1956 plans for a new building were approved and construction was begun in July by J. O. Hill and Sons. By December 1956 the church building, on the corner of Dennis Drive & Paluxy was nearly complete. The first service held in the nearly-complete sanctuary was a Christmas Cantata. On January 27, 1957, the building was formally dedicated.
Thanks to Sara Cannon, a charter member who continues as an active member, for much of the information in this brief history. For the complete history of Highland, written by Sara on the occasion of HPC’s 50th anniversary click on 50th Anniversary book.
During its history, Highland has had seven pastors, including C. Monroe King 56-64, Fred Campbell 65-72, Winston Hull 72-75, Ronald Guinn 77-86, Jerry Whigham 87-94, David Smith 96-03 and Scott Mackey 05 to present: